Monday, September 3, 2007

Step 5: Driving some traffic to this here blog of yours (part 1)

Ok, I know I said that I would make a post about ad placements, but
currently I can't use the computer, and am once again using my
cellphone. So let's start on driving some traffic to your site!

Some people may pick up on the fact that this post kind of jumped the
gun, but I'm excited to write this post (I also planned the whole
thing only to find out that I'd chosen the wrong **** topic). Most
blogs, sites, etc. get their traffic from the search engines (and
overzealous family members visiting their site every minute). In order
to get your traffic from a search engine, you need to be ranked high
on that search engine for a particular key word. So, many people
optimise their site for such a thing. Then, they write good,
interesting articles and posts. Yes, this method does indeed work, but
there are many other ways to do such a thing. Lets give some examples:
making comments on other blogs in your topic range (I'm tired of using
the word 'niche'). This really does work rather well, as I have been
doing such a thing and have seen an incremental increase in traffic
over the last two days. But please, don't expect a huge explosion of
200 visitors a day, this is unreasonable. Obviously, if you put about
5 comments on 200 blogs, it could happen. At the moment, you probably
won't even feature on the google search results (I know I'm not),
unless of course you have a tight topic range.

Another method, which I haven't actually tried yet, but its been on
every other blog I've read (another thing you should do, read other
blogs in your topic range). Making a press release can inform a couple
of people of your site, why its important and why they should visit.

Submit to digg. The social news site is famous for sending
server-crunching traffic. This is a difficult thing to do, but if you
work at it, it can send even a couple of curious souls. Remember,
anyone can stumble upon your site, but it takes a good blogger to keep
them there.

I just ran out of letters with which to type! :( Continued later.

No comments: